Tuesday 24 May 2016

Time for a brake break

So in a couple of weeks time Dave will be taking us off to France for a holiday, we have booked a lovely cottage on a working farm near Pluduno in Cotes-d'Armor. So stay tuned for lots of French adventures.

So having got an advisory at the last service that I would need pads and discs at the next service and having covered 6,000 miles since the service I thought I would check the pads. I found them a little low and although should be good for a few thousand more miles I decided to get the brakes sorted before we went away.

So a quick call to Dacia and a quote of £270 inc VAT fitted, I checked the labour time and was quoted 1.2 hours.

For many years prior to getting Dave I used a small garage in New Yatt called Storm Autos, run by a couple of cracking guys who always provided excellent service. So having checked my warranty I found that I could get them to carry out work on Dave as long as OE spec parts are fitted and they are VAT registered. Storm also told me if I wanted to source my own parts they are happy to fit them.

Thanks to a previous thread on DaciaForum I sourced a set of TRW OE Spec front vented discs for £15 the pair, I contacted my local autofactors and paid £27 for a set of TRW OE pads.

So off to Storm we went this morning, up went Dave on the 2 poster (also gave me my first chance to have a proper look underneath him) and 45 minutes later, new pads and discs fitted (Remember Dacia stated 1.2 hours).

After a bit of a natter about Dave, his plate, the EU referendum and a cup of tea I was back on my way home. And the charge £50 including VAT.

So that makes a total cost of £92, a massive saving over Dacia's £270!

Thanks guys.


No comments:

Post a Comment